Wednesday, September 21, 2011

Week 4: Communication Skills Tests

Communication skills are something that I have been thinking a lot about this week so I decided to jump on Google and look for a few skills tests to see what others have to say about my skills, or lack thereof, when dealing with communication.

The first test I found was from Queendom.com (link).  This 25 question test asked things that we have been reading about in Bolton this week, including things like the topic of diverting.  Many of the questions asked about how often, if at all, you push other people's problems aside through distraction.  This is something that I find I often do.  The test also posed questions that deal with how well you can detect a person's mood while talking to them, whether or not you can read body language, and how well you can see things from another person's point of view.  I did not score very well on the test.  Some of my results I will share with you:

The second test I found was at the Discovery "Fit and Health" website (link).  This test was a lot shorter but had similar true/false statements such as"I find it had to express my feelings to others" and "I get so caught up in what I have to say that I am unaware of the reactions of my listeners".  I did not score very well on this test, either.
It seems apparent that I can use a lot of help when it comes to communicating with people!  I think that, out of all the topics that Bolton covers in chapter two of People Skills, the main thing that I need to work on is not avoiding the concerns of others.  I found that I chose "true" or answered positively to all the questions/statements regarding ignoring or misinterpreting others' feelings.  This is definitely something that I will consciously work on during the course of this semester.

No comments:

Post a Comment